See what is being proposed in the draft ordinance
The first phase of the draft ordinance mirrors the requirements of state law (AB 1276) and requires that food service ware accessories such as utensils, chopsticks, condiment cups and packets, straws, stirrers, splash sticks, and cocktail sticks be provided only upon request by customers. These requirements become effective on June 1, 2022.
The second phase of the draft ordinance includes elements that would go into effect one year later, on August 1, 2023. These requirements include:
1. Prohibiting the use of non-complaint food service ware by food providers:
- Continue to prohibit use of expanded polystyrene foam food service ware
- Prohibit use of single-use plastic items (even if accepted as recyclable)
- Prohibit use of bio-plastics (compostable plastics)
- Require takeout food service ware to be fiber-based and compostable or entirely made of aluminum
2. Reusable food service ware required for dining on premises:
- Reusable food service ware must be provided for customers dining on site at the food provider’s location. Requires sufficient dishwashing capacity or a contract with a dishwashing service.
3. Prohibiting the sale of non-compliant foodware:
- Ban local sale of expanded polystyrene foam, and bio-plastic food service ware
Attend the City Council Study Session on August 16, 2022 to hear more about the draft ordinance and have an opportunity to speak about the proposal.