Cupertino Plastics Data
Plastic Myths vs Facts
Dive into the data to gain a better understanding of the plastic waste that is generated in Cupertino. Page two of this infographic shows how that plastic waste is sorted into the trash, recycling, and organics bin for collection.
What does this data tell us?
- Half of the plastic waste in Cupertino is NOT recyclable.
- Of the 50% of plastics that could be recycled, only 17% were successfully cleaned and put in the blue cart.
- About a quarter of plastics are incorrectly “wishcycled” into the blue or green carts.
- Room for improvement: an estimated 1288 tons of plastic could be recycled if clean and sorted correctly.
What can you do to help?
- Learn what goes in each bin at Cupertino.org/NoWaste
- Make sure your plastic is empty, clean, and dry before putting it in the recycling bin.
- Invest in a reusable alternative to reduce your waste.
- Give your feedback and stay up to date with the Single-use Plastics reduction efforts in Cupertino.